skip to main content
:::

Chiayi County Government

歡迎來到Chiayi County Government網站

Chiayi County Government網站

:::

Puzi City

    Ⅰ. Origin of name 
      During the 26th year of the Ch’ing Dynasty Emperor Kangsi’s rule (1687), Banyue Villager Ma Lin, who worships Mazu, trudged a thousand miles from Mei State to escort Golden Mazu back to Taiwan. On the way he passed by the South shore of Niouchousi (present day Puzisi), and took a break under the Puzi tree. When he was ready to set off again, he unexpectedly found Golden Mazu to be so heavy it was impossible to move, so he threw the wooden divinatory blocks to ask for Mazu’s instructions. 
      Mazu instructed him to stay there permanently, so a temple was built under the Puzi tree, and called “Pu-Su Temple” (literally Puzi Tree Temple). Mazu’s miracle brought crowds of worshippers to the temple and eventually a market was formed and referred to as “Puzi Feet Street.” 
      During the rule of Emperor Chien Lung, “Pu-Su Temple” was renamed “Pei-Tian Temple” in accordance with imperial edict. When Japan took over Taiwan, the name “Puzi Feet” was considered too vulgar, thus in Taishō 9 (9th year of the Republic, 1920), “Puzi Feet” was changed to “Puzi.” The word Pu is written differently in the two names but has the same pronunciation. 

    Ⅱ. History of Puzi City: 
      In the 34th year of the Republic (1945) after Taiwan’s restoration, the Taiwan Provincial Administrative Executive Office was established and Puzi was incorporated into Tainan County. At the time Tainan County had Huwei, Douliou, Beigang, Chiayi, Dongshih, Sinying, Cengwen, Beimen, Sinhua and Sinfong under its jurisdiction. All prefectures were changed to administrative districts. Puzi originally belonged to the Dongshih Prefecture.
      On December 11, 1945, in accordance with Article 12 of the regulations of Taiwan Province’s county governments, villages were changed to towns and Puzi Township Office was established. In October 1950, Chiayi County Government was established with Chiayi City, Chiayi, and Dongshih under its jurisdiction, and Puzi City became officially subordinated to Chiayi County. On July 1, 1992, Puzi Town was officially changed to a County-ruled city, and on September 10 of the same year, it became a city. 

    Ⅲ. Present situation: 
      Currently the city has a total of 27 villages. It has many historically meaningful sites within its jurisdiction such as: Pei-Tian Temple, Town Hall (Puzi Precinct of ChiaYi County Police Bureau), Puzi Art Park (Meiling Fine Arts Museum), Puzi Embroidery Cultural Hall, Shueidaotou, Puzi Railway Park and Nioutiaowan, etcetera.


    View Larger Map

    :::