About the Township
Taibao City is an agriculture city subordinate to Chiayi County. It is located to the west of Chiayi County, with Chiayi City and Shuishang Township to the east. Lucao Township is located to the west, Puzi City and Liujiao Township to the south, and Singang and Minsyong Townships to the north, separated by the Puzi River. The area is a long round shape, measuring approximately 15 kiometers in length and 5 kilometers in width. The landscape is flat, with an altitude of 22 meters and an area of 66.8964 square kilometers. The agricultural area which defines the district is extensive, providing most of the agricultural production output in the Chianan Plain. Some residents have careers in farming; the people are frugal and honest. Most plant paddy rice, but the city is known for melons, sweet corn and tomatoes.
Taibao City has 18 villages under its administration, including Beixin, Nanxin, Bixiang, Maliao, Guogou, Gangwei, Tianwei, Jiubi, Xinpi, Qiantan, Houtan, Meipu, Houzhuang, Taibao, Dongshi, Lunding, Chunzhu and Anren Villages.
Taibao was originally named Gouwei Village. In year 51 of the reign of Emperor Chien Lung in the Ching Dynasty (1786), when the Lin Shuang-Wen uprising was spreading from central Taiwan to Southern Taiwan, townsman De-Lu Wang recruited forces to assist the government in defeating Lin’s army and was thus awarded peacock feathers and promoted to supervise the right camp of Fujian Province. Then during year 11 of the reign of Emperor Jia Qing (1806), Wang helped to defeat pirate Chen Tsai, and was promoted to Prefect of Zhejiang Province. In the 18th year of the reign of Emperor Dao Guang (1838), the Ching court bestowed upon Wang the title of Tai Tze Tai Bao, the highest rank for Taiwanese people in the Ching Dynasty. Therefore, Wang’s hometown was renamed Taibao Village. During the Opium War of Dao Guang year 21 (1841), Wang died of sickness while stationed at the Pescadores. The Ching court further bestowed upon him the title of Tai Tze Tai Shr (teacher of the crown prince). On October 25, 1950, with Taiwan’s implementation of the system of small counties and cities, Taibao’s administrative district was moved to Chiayi County, and named Taibao Township, Chiayi County. In July 1991, with the relocation of the administration center of Chiayi County to Taibao, the township became a city.
【The Ox General Temple】
Located in Shuiniu (Water Buffalo) Village of Taibao City, the temple stands on ground first cultivated by the Han people. The temple enshrines a statue of a large black water buffalo, alongside a shepherd holding a whiplash in hand. It is said that when Zeng Chenggong came here to cultivate, he brought 8 water buffaloes to help with the plowing. Due to difficulty in cultivating the desolate land, the buffaloes finally died of overwork. Predecessors built the Ox General Temple to commemorate them, so that later generations might think of the hardship their ancestors endured during cultivation. To this day, the temple is filled with worshippers and tourists year round. The mortar placed in front of the ox is filled year round with fresh grass, fresh flowers, fruits, sugar cane and a bucket of clean water, which has become one of the best known features of the community.
Located in Taibao Village, Taibao City, the temple worships Ching Dynasty Prefect De-Lu Wang, his wife and the Wang ancestors. De-Lu Wang was born in Taibao City; he was the highest ranking Taiwanese official at the time with many outstanding merits. General Wang resided in 540 Taibao Section, and the Wangshihjia Temple was his office. In 1962, descendants of General Wang spent 800,000 NTD to turn the office into the Wangshihjia Temple. The temple archives Wang’s armor, sword, daily goods, ancestry tablet and a few stone sculptures from his office, such as the 12 Chinese horoscopes, the stone table in the garden and the flagpole stand by the door. De-Lu Wang had 10 wives and concubines. His many descendants now reside in different places, making it difficult to gather cultural and historical relics, thus some relics and records are presented in the form of photographs or photocopies, including victory records, Ching Dynasty memorials to the throne and imperial edicts. The temple houses portraits of the Wang couple and his elder brother and his wife, and preserves several ancient couplets from between the reigns of Emperor Dao Guang and Xian Feng. Outside the temple, there is an exquisite garden and a orange red Fujian style courtyard. Wang’s descendants take turns managing the Wangshihjia Temple, which holds rites every Qingming Day, Chinese New Year’s Day and Wang De-Lu's birthday on May 21 of the lunar calendar.